Your privacy is very important to us. Please read below to see how Watshout handles information. Before you get to the details, here are a few of our fundamental privacy principles:
- Information you upload or post to Watshout may be seen by others depending on your privacy settings.
- We aggregate and de-identify certain information about our members to use for business purposes.
- We give you several ways to control the privacy of your personal information and are continuously working to enhance privacy options available to you.
Watshout is headquartered in San Francisco and our Services are provided to you by Watshout, Inc. If you are a resident of the European Union (“EU”), Watshout, Inc. is the controller of your personal data for the purposes of EU data protection law.
We Collect, Use, Share and Otherwise Process Information
- as necessary to provide the Services and fulfill our obligations pursuant to the Terms of Service. For example, we cannot provide the Services unless we collect and use your location information;
- where you have consented to the processing, which you can revoke at any time. For example, you may consent to the processing of health-related information;
- where necessary to comply with a legal obligation, a court order, or to exercise and defend legal claims;
- to protect your vital interests, or those of others, such as in the case of emergencies;
- where you have made the information public;
- where necessary in the public interest; and
- where necessary for the purposes of Watshout’s or a third party’s legitimate interests, such as those of visitors, members or partners.
We process your information in furtherance of our legitimate interests, including:
- providing and improving the Services, including any personalized Services. We do so as it is necessary to pursue our legitimate interests of providing and developing innovative and tailored offerings to our members on a sustained basis; and
- keeping the Services safe and secure. We do so as it is necessary to pursue the legitimate interests of Watshout and its members in ensuring the Services are secure, and to protect against fraud, spam and abuse, etc.
Information Watshout Collects
Watshout collects information about you, including information that directly or indirectly identifies you, if you or your other members choose to share it with Watshout. We receive information in a few different ways, including when you track, complete or upload activities using the Services. Watshout also collects information about how you use the Services. There are also several opportunities for you to share information about yourself and your activities with Watshout. For example:
- We collect basic account information such as your name, email address, date of birth, gender, username and password that helps secure and provide you with access to our Services.
- Profile and use information is collected about you when you choose to upload a picture, activity (including date, time and geo-location information as well as your speed and pace) or post, join a challenge, add your equipment usage, view others’ activities, or otherwise use the Services.
- You can choose to add your contacts’ information to connect with your contacts on Watshout and to send them your activity information while using Watshout Live Tracking. If you choose to use these features, Watshout will access and store your contacts’ information in accordance with your instructions. By submitting such contact information, you confirm that you have the authority to use and share such information.
- Watshout collects information from devices and apps you connect to Watshout.
- Watshout may collect or infer health information which may include information such as heart rate or other biometric information, such as power, cadence, height and weight or other indicators. Before you can upload health information to Watshout or information from which Watshout can infer health information, you must give your explicit consent to the processing of that health information by Watshout. You can withdraw your consent to Watshout processing your health information at any time.
- We gather information from the photos, posts, comments, kudos and other content you share on the Services, including when you participate in partner events or create segments or routes.
- When you make a payment on Watshout, you may provide payment information such as your payment card or other payment details. We use Payment Card Industry compliant third-party payment services and we do not store your credit card information.
- We collect and process location information when you sign up for and use the Services. To record your run or ride and to provide you with your training statistics and inclusion in the Service’s features (for example, the leaderboard for a route), it is necessary to collect and record the physical location of your device including, data such as speed and direction. Processing of your location data is essential to the Services which we provide and a necessary part of our performance of the agreement we have with you.
- Watshout allows you to sign up and log in to the Services using accounts you create with third-party products and services, such as Facebook or Google (collectively, “Third-Party Accounts”). If you access the Services with Third-Party Accounts we will collect information that you have agreed to make available such as your name, email address, profile information and preferences with the applicable Third-Party Account. This information is collected by the Third-Party Account provider and is provided to Watshout under their privacy policies. You can generally control the information that we receive from these sources using the privacy settings in your Third-Party Account.
- To help us to provide you with the best possible service, you can choose to provide us with your contact information, so we can better respond to your support requests and comments.
- We also obtain additional third-party information about members from marketers, partners, researchers, and others. We may combine information that we collect from you with information obtained from other members, third parties and information derived from any other subscription, product, or service we provide. We may also collect information about you from other members such as when they give you kudos or comment about you.
We collect information from your browser, computer, or mobile device, which provide us with technical information when you access or use the Services. This technical information includes device and network information, cookies, log files and analytics information.
Cookies and Similar Technologies
When you visit the Services, a cookie will be stored on your computer. Generally, cookies and similar technologies work by assigning to your browser or device a unique number that has no meaning outside of Watshout. Watshout uses these technologies to personalize your experience and to assist in delivering content specific to your interests. Additionally, after you’ve entered your member ID and password during a session on the Services, Watshout saves that information so you don’t have to re-enter it repeatedly during that session.
Most browsers automatically accept cookies. To manage the collection of information through cookies or other equivalent technology you can use the settings on your browser or mobile device. Watshout is committed to providing you choices to manage your privacy and sharing.
How Information is Shared
We also use your information to analyze, develop and improve the Services. To do this, Watshout may use third party analytics providers to gain insights into how our Services are used and to help us improve the Services. We may also use your information to market the Services, credit or accept payments, provide support related to the Services, protect members and enforce our Terms of Service, promote safety, and communicate with you. Additionally, your information may be shared with third parties, as set forth below.
Watshout may de-identify or aggregate the content you make available in connection with the Services, in ways that do not personally identify you. Examples of such aggregated information or statistical data include information about equipment, usage, demographics, routes and performance. Watshout may use, sell, license, and share this information with third parties for research, business or other purposes such as to improve walking, running or riding in cites. Watshout may also use aggregated data to generate global data views.
We use your information to communicate with you about the Services, send you marketing communications (where you have agreed to receive such messages), or let you know about new features or updates to our Terms of Service. We also use your information to respond to you when you contact us. Watshout will use your information to communicate with you, for example by sending you notifications.
We may share your information with third parties who provide services to Watshout such as supporting and improving the Services, promoting the Services, processing payments, or fulfilling orders. These service providers will only have access to the information necessary to perform these limited functions on our behalf and are required to protect and secure your information. We may also engage service providers to collect information about your use of the Services over time on our behalf so that we or they may promote Watshout or display information that may be relevant to your interests on the Services or other websites or services.
Third Party Business via API or Other Integrations
When you choose to use third party apps, plug-ins, or websites that integrate with the Services, they may receive your information and content, including your personal information, photos, and your activity data (including private activities). Information collected by these third parties is subject to their terms and policies. Watshout is not responsible for the terms or policies of third parties.
Affiliates and Acquirors of our Business or Assets
We may preserve and share your information with third parties, including law enforcement, public or governmental agencies, or private litigants, within or outside your country of residence, if we determine that such disclosure is reasonably necessary to comply with the law, including to respond to court orders, warrants, subpoenas, or other legal or regulatory process. We may also retain, preserve or disclose your information if we determine that disclosure is reasonably necessary or appropriate to prevent any person from death or serious bodily injury, to address issues of national security or other issues of public importance, to prevent or detect violations of our Terms of Service or fraud or abuse of Watshout or its members, or to protect our operations or our property or other legal rights, including by disclosure to our legal counsel and other consultants and third parties in connection with actual or potential litigation.
How We Protect Information
We take several measures to safeguard the collection, transmission and storage of the data we collect. Although we strive to employ reasonable protections for your information that are appropriate to its sensitivity, we do not guarantee or warrant the security of the information you share with us and we are not responsible for the theft, destruction, loss or inadvertent disclosure of your information or content. No system is 100% secure. The Services uses industry standard Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) technology to allow for the encryption of personal information and credit card numbers. Watshout engages a company that is an industry leader in online security and Services verification to strengthen the security of Watshout’s Services. The Services are registered with site identification authorities so that your browser can confirm Watshout’s identity before any personally identifiable information is sent. In addition, Watshout’s secure servers protect this information using advanced firewall technology.
To help ensure that these measures are effective in preventing unauthorized access to your private information, you should be aware of the security features available to you through your browser. You should use a security-enabled browser to submit your credit card information and other personal information at the Services. Please note that if you do not use a SSL-capable browser, you are at risk for having data intercepted.
Most browsers have the ability to notify you if you change between secure and insecure communications, receive invalid services identification information for the Services you are communicating with, or send information over an unsecured connection. Watshout recommends that you enable these browser functions to help ensure that your communications are secure. You can also monitor the URL of the services you are visiting (secure URLs begin with https:// rather than http://), along with the security symbol of your browser to help identify when you are communicating with a secure server. You can also view the details of the security certificate of the services to which you are connected. Please check the validity of any Services you connect to using secure communications.
While Watshout continues to work hard to protect your personal information, no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be absolutely secure, and Watshout cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to Watshout. Transmitting personal information is done at your own risk.
Updating Account Information
You may correct, amend or update profile or account information that is inaccurate at any time by adjusting that information in your account settings. If you need further assistance, please contact Watshout at feedback. Watshout will generally respond to your request within 10-14 business days.
Deleting Information and Accounts
You may request that your account is deleted by visiting feedback. Once deleted, your data, including your account, activities and place on leaderboards cannot be reinstated.
Note that content you have shared with others (for example, through Clubs) or that others have copied may also remain visible after you have deleted your account or deleted the information from your own profile. Your public profile may be displayed in search engine results until the search engine refreshes its cache.
The Services are operated from the United States. If you are located outside of the United States and choose to use the Services or provide information to us, you acknowledge and understand that your information will be transferred, processed and stored in the United States, as it is necessary to provide the Services and perform the Terms of Service. United States privacy laws may not be as protective as those in your jurisdiction.